Volunteer Mounted Unit
The mission of the Antelope Valley Volunteer Mounted Unit is to enhance the Sheriff's Department's ability to provide a safe, enjoyable, crime free community. We will accomplish this mission by:
Training volunteer equestrians to provide safe and effective mounted observation patrol at mall and shopping center parking lots, high school games and other local events, desert areas and county and city parks. Mounted volunteers will be highly visible, trained observers tasked with detecting suspicious activity and notifying field deputies via radio.
The Volunteer Mounted Unit is another opportunity for the Sheriff's Department and citizens to cooperatively serve our community against crime.
Our monthly unit meetings are held the 1st Tuesday of each month starting at 7:00 PM. They are held at the Palmdale Sheriff's Station. Please contact Deputy David Ibanez or apply using the application below.
All Members Must:
- Have access to a trail worthy horse.
- Have access to a horse trailer.
- Pass both a written examination and a practical horsemanship test consisting of basic horsemanship skills and sensory testing.
- All Sheriff’s volunteers are required to perform 16 hours of service per month.
- The priority activity of this team is mounted patrol. By joining this team you are committing to serve a minimum of 48 hours of mounted patrol each year, which averages out to 4 hours a month. This is time in the saddle. Although hours are logged for the time you spend on travel and tacking up/down and spent time at meetings, training or community displays, etc., you must serve a minimum of 4 hours in the saddle each month to remain a member in good standing.
Please complete the application and then follow one of these three options:
- Deliver to the front counter of the sheriff’s station
- Mail to:
Deputy Cynthia Knutson
750 East Ave Q
Palmdale CA, 93550
- Scan and email to